This is from my Ruben Sandwich from monday night. My American Dad William Davis used to make the best Ruben. In Berlin you can get proper ones at Barcomi’s. But they are not like the ones served by the Davis’.
So, this is my version:
- 4 thin slices of bread that you like. A darker one is better. Rye bread is great. Last night I used Dinkel with a bit of fennel. Toast them or heat in the pan and scratch a wedge of garlic to get the taste.
- 150 gram Rain dear. Made with butter in the pan. Spice with some fresh chili, salt and pepper.
- 0,5 dl Kimchi
- 0,5 dl Sauerkraut. Pre-mix the Saurkraut with Kimchi.
- Chanterelle. Made with butter, Garlic and Parsley in the pan.
- Some slices of cheese that you like. I used a hard goat cheese from Värmland. But a old Gruyère would be nice too.
Add all ingredients on between 2 pieces of Bread. Cheese towards the bread.
Press together and heat well in a pan. I liked it a lot even though Dad let me know by sms that he was skeptic towards the idea.