© 2013 Elmlid SMAK

the Bread Exchange in SMAK

Delivered by a group of Polish food lovers I finally got my hands on the latest SMAK magazine from Warsaw. I really like this magazine.

————————

I have one extra magazine that I can offer someone. Are you up for a trade? What I would like to know in exchange is where to eat the best Polish pirogues and the great Zurek soup in Berlin.

————————-

There is an article about the Bread Exchange in there too  ——-> here!

Unfortunetly that is probably the only thing I will halfway understand as I can not read a flake of Polish. In fact, this feels really frustrating when you look through the SMAK magazine. I have been asking Monika, who is co-founder, why they are not doing the polish+english style (like Fricote who are doing french+english). I really hope they will do it, as the magazine looks too interesting and beautiful not to be read by an international audience.

SMAK-Spread

SMAK_Rabarber

SMAK_Stoff

There was an article in SMAK about (atleast I assume it is about) a Polish cheese maker. I wonder if it is the same guy that make the cheese for  the Warsaw restaurant Funkcjonalny in Saska Kepa. That cheese plate was so great that I bought it for take out for the train ride back to berlin.

SMAK_Ost

—————————–

Great Thank You Monika for the article and a Large Thank You to Mirjam Wählen who made the baking picture!

6 Comments

1. Ania
    Posted May 10, 2013 at 12:57 | #

I need ot get my hand on this issue next time I’m back home! It’s a beautiful new magazine, probably the best foodie one on the market in Poland right now. How exciting that you’re featured :)

2. Posted May 11, 2013 at 10:35 | #

Ania, what do you mean by “probably”? Like they have 5-10 food magazines and few of them are comparable by style? Wow, I was thinking worse of Poland…

3. Posted May 13, 2013 at 15:03 | #

Hi Nikita,
    Maybe you are actually underrating Poland ;) During my research trip to Warsaw I was truly impressed by both the magazines and the restaurants popping up and which are no more pseudo-french but really digging into the traditional Polish food heritage.
    Apparently 3 new food magazines started since last year (at the same time fashion mag are selling less). SMAK is one of the 2 more fashionable ones and is for sure keeping the international standard of designed small scale food magazines.

@Ania, yes, you should get it!

4. ola
    Posted November 8, 2013 at 10:47 | #

the guy on the picture doesn’t make cheese, he only eats them ;)

5. Posted November 8, 2013 at 13:13 | #

You know this? or you are assuming Ola?

6. Posted November 8, 2013 at 19:21 | #

I know it for a fact :) he’s specializing in finding best cheese from small local producers and promoting it further. had a show on tv, in each episode visiting one small cheese farm and finding out about the cheese they make there. but my parents do make cheese ;) btw, it’s a wonderful website and idea, just found you via green kitchen stories :) enjoy Morocco :)